Friday, February 19, 2010

The unappreciated horror fan's lament...

This girl is sick of crappy, how much viscera can we show, re-make happy, horror directors and their awful films. I'm no prude. I can take some blood and gore and still keep on tickin. But some subtlety and a little plot development is greatly appreciated. I know they can't all be Halloween or The Exorcist or The Haunting. Every now and then I'm suprised...So we watched "House of the Devil--" a lovely horror homage to the satanic cult movies of the eighties. Directed by Ti West in 2009, it was so completely reminicent of the frantic, "those Satanist are a livin just down the street" paranoia that I missed (because I was 5). I was hungry for a flick that scared me without showing me piano wire cutting things off or rabid, inbred hillbillies chasing after hoes with rusty pruning sheers. Thankfully, I got it. I added "House of the Devil" to the Netflix queue about 6 months before they even released it. Slow building tension, subtle horror clues, and just the right amount of gore made this girl a happy camper late one Thursday night. This is one that I'll be buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment